Day 2 – Tuesday 26-Aug-2014



It’s pissing down this morning, so I’m getting the water for my morning coffees from the rain running off the second fly I have. Making lemonade, kinda thing 🙂
Saves the water I have stored, and might save my having to walk for water today.


The rain has almost stopped, so I’ll be able to get out, get my shoes on and start the day soon.


Well, the rain is starting again, but held off long enough for me to have my morning.. Yeah attend to morning matters, adjust my fly, sit down for a coffee watching Mount. Solitary and have a walk around.


I’ve adjusted the tent fly so it collects rainwater in the large pot, and dug a ditch then spread the old shelter over it, to serve the same purpose. All there is to do now is wait till the rain thickens-up and I should have a few litres of fresh mountain rainwater.

I’ve also moved a rock – large enough to function as a seat – to just outside under the upper fly, so I can sit outside the tent without getting mud all over my pants.

There’s something about being out here that’s excellent, but hard to explain.

Sure there’s the tranquility, the fresh air and solitude but there’re other things that make it good too.

The animals: I never paid regard to any bird until I started camping out here. Tourists walking the popular trails get to see all the dozens of bird species flying over, perching etc, but being out here a full week or more at a time you get to do more than see them flitter around the trails.
You get to eavesdrop on their conversations – which span half the valley and go on all day long, you get to know when rain is coming or stopping by the noises all the species make in unison, you get to watch the different species of smaller birds go about their daily lives; tossing soil to peck nuts or bugs from the ground.

I’ve seen a Lyrebird take a half-hour bath in the creek. Splashing around, then shaking off, then dunking itself almost completely under water, shaking off again. This dunk and shake process happens about half a dozen times, before finally the Lyrebird steps out of the water and begins another fifteen minutes of shaking and preening it’s feathers, shake, preen, shake, preen… Eventually, once he or she feels apparently thoroughly clean, they strut away from the creek and into the ground-cover to carry-on with their day.

Most beautiful feathers I’ve seen on a bird too, with a coat so fine, every step causes their feathers to waggle and jiggle around like fine, shoulder-length human hair.

Last time I was down here I watched two Cockatoo cleaning-out the hollow of a gum tree to build a nest and I’ve sat down and had morning tea with a group of them several times now.

And of course, the Marsupial mice. I don’t think we need a recap of their antics, but suffice to say, that simply doing day-walks of the populated trails, you don’t get anywhere near the ‘close encounters’ you get when you’re sitting quietly, and the wildlife are relaxed enough to get used to your presence and know you’re no threat to them.

Anyway, that indescribable thing about being out here…

The views, being in the middle of a rainforest, the satisfaction of knowing you can pack everything you need for a week in the middle of nowhere in one bag.

The fact that at every step through months of planning before coming here that cow of an ex had nothing to say but, “It’s just a stupid idea” – unjustifiably conceited pig.

Then there’s the complete lack of value money has in a rainforest: Not only is there no need at all to think about money down here, it has no place here at all – and is of no use to you whatsoever.

Hang on it’s starting to piss cats and dogs, back to the tent! .. Free water without the 6km round walk woohoo!


Alright I know I’m veering wildly off topic again, but since the rains’ started again I’ve half-filled my 3ltr water bladder and used rainwater for all but one of my coffees today.

Every time I look at the little 800mL pot is over-flowing and at this rate, I’ll end-up with a full 6Ltrs of water -plus- the little pond I’ve made from my old tarp shelter. I won’t have to visit a creek for two days, or at all if it keeps raining all week.

My uncle would be pleased to see, that I can in fact drink rain, now ai have the sheeting 😉


Since writing that last bit, I’ve not only filled all six litres of water-containers, I’ve had to keep drinking so I don’t waste it. The next pot-full will be for dinner. Pasta with pizza sauce and 36-month-aged tasty cheese.


Dinner was excellent, even considering how fed-up I am with pasta. The tasty cheese only half melted, so there were lots of chunks of warm cheese throughout the pot. I immediately rinsed-out the bowl, gave it a little clean with my finger, then returned it back where it can collect more water – albeit pasta-flavoured.

Of course, dinner wouldn’t be complete without another coffee and teddybear biscuits, so I had some of them too.

“What kind of man brings teddybear biscuits on a camping trip?”, you ask? .. A well prepared man. One who is willing to break, bag and stuff two full packets into his backpack.

I also brought down two full blocks – almost half a kilo – of Whittaker’s 6-roll-refined milk chocolate: all broken into individual pieces, for ease of eating. 🙂

Anyway, it’s 7:00pm on the dot, so it’s time for my evening google-search for stories about Yowies, Panthers and Serial Killers.

, , , , ,

Leave a Reply